Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

3 Tips to Write a Lot!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Assalamualaikum,

I would like to share 3 tips to write a lot that I've summarized from the How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing, written by Paul J. Silvia, PhD. There are a lot of useful information and guideline in his book, but I found these tips can be applied in my writing journey.


My daugther, Husna was learning to write a lot, before learning A B C! 
Husna at 4 months young. She's 21 months now :) 


This book was an assigned reading for my Instructional Systems Research Seminar that I took in Spring 2014.

Alhamdulillah, I'm officially a PhD candidate in spring 2015 and become an ABD (all but dissertation) student! which also means that I need to gear up my writing!

So, here's the tips:

Tip #1: Make a schedule and stick to it! 

Ralph Keyes (2003), a professional writer, noted that "the simple fact of sitting down to write day after day is what makes writers productive" (p. 49). The author, Paul shared that he allocated 2 hours in the morning strictly for writing only. He ensures that he spent time writing directly after waking up with coffee in hand. No checking emails or morning news.

*Please note that allocated time for writing doesn't mean that you will only "write/type", reading articles, revising your writing, analyzing data can also be the activities that you can achieve during your allocated writing time.  

My plan: Allocated at least 2 hours after subuh prayer for my writing time. No emails/facebook/blogs during this precious time. Also remember to write outside of this allocated writing time.

Tip #2: Set your concrete daily goals. 

It's good that you have writing goals such as complete my literature review or defend my prospectus in three months. But, it's better to be more specific and concrete. Write daily goals that are manageable and you'll be happy once you achieve it. For examples:

  • Write at least 200 words.
  • Print the first draft I finished yesterday, read it, and revise it. 
  • Add missing reference

My plan: I plan to write my daily concrete goals based on the headings that I've brainstormed for my prospectus. For example:

  • Develop a table of problem based learning definitions
  • Use the table to summarize what and how students learn in a problem based learning lesson 

Tip #3: Monitor your writing progress. 

Paul stated that by monitoring our writing progress, we will keep our goals salient and help us to stay focus, sit down and write as well as help us to set better goals. He uses a SPSS file with variables called month, date, day, words (number of words he wrote), goal, and project (different writing work such as grants, journal articles).

My plan: Currently, I do have a notebook where I jot down what I did for the day. Maybe I'll try using an excel file to systematically monitor my progress.


Best of luck!






No comments:

katakanlah ♥ say anything © 2017